Monday, May 24, 2010

What else has Jenn discovered?

So, I said that I would post again about my experience at our last meeting, so here it is. I don't have Nate to proof it this time, so sorry for any terrible or just plain weird grammatical errors! Anyway, the first meeting we had for our Nicaragua trip was quite exhilarating and yet basic. I left the meeting feeling like a big fish in a little pond and just pumped for whatever was next! The second meeting was not like the first meeting for me. We completed an exercise that reminded me that those we visit are not going to be exactly like me in every way (which is a good thing). It made me realize that I will likely have to make an adjustment in my thinking to accept their cultural and social norms as normal. And during the meeting, I just kept thinking, "Wow, they really have everything planned out from the smallest details to the big picture - I know nothing at all!" So I left the meeting feeling a little overwhelmed and definitely like a small fish in a big pond. The confidence I had at the first meeting was replaced by anxiety even though the excitement and anticipation remained. I quite literally knew nothing. But I felt God saying to me, "Yes Jennifer, you do not know what you are about to experience or what to do in the upcoming situations. That is why you need me." And then I realized that it is ok to not know everything for this trip. Sometimes, I get so stuck on being prepared for things that I want to learn it all and do it myself. I often end up feeling overwhelmed and afraid because I can't do it on my own. That's usually when God gently taps my back and says, "Hey, that's what I'm here for." I am so grateful we have a God that cares about leading me through my day and strengthening me when I feel weak! So, I am now over my anxiety and accepting that I am small, but my God is bigger than anything!!

No comments:

Post a Comment